Welcome to Senior Year!
Congratulations to OLMA’s Class of 2017! Believe it or not, you are in your final year of high school. On the Guidance front, there’s a lot to do. Below is a timeline to help keep you on track:
- Attend the Senior Parent Meeting on September 13.
- All seniors are enrolled in Guidance class for the first semester. We meet once a week.
- If you need to improve your test scores, prepare for these tests now and register to take them soon. All testing should be completed by December.
- The ACT is given during the second week of September. Register online at www.collegeboard.org for the SAT test and at www.actstudent.org for the ACT test. Register early to avoid late fees and to ensure a spot at your local high school. Remember to include our high school code (310996) so OLMA will receive a copy of your scores.
- Begin completing the common application which can be found at www.commonapp.org.
- Attend the Financial Aid Workshop on October 4.
- Retake the SAT or ACT as needed. The SAT is given at the beginning of both October and November. The ACT is only given at the end of October; there is no November test.
- Schedule a visit with your Guidance Counselor. Bring along a list of schools that you’ve researched and seem to be a good fit. They should represent a range of selectivity.
- The FAFSA opens on October 1 at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Complete this as soon as possible.
- Determine if you need additional letters of recommendation and who you will ask to write them.
- Sign up in the Guidance office for Instant Decision days that will be held at OLMA.
- Send SAT/ACT scores directly to colleges.
- Continue visiting colleges.
- Prospective college athletes should register with NCAA and forward transcripts.
- Complete all applications.
- Early action deadlines for most schools will fall during these months.
- Regular decision deadlines for schools will begin during this time. Make sure you keep track of all application deadlines.
- Update your Naviance accounts whenever you receive acceptance letters and make admissions decisions.
- Make sure to inform your counselor of all financial aid and scholarship offers.
- Mid-year reports and transcripts go out to all schools you are still considering. Let your counselor know where to send these reports.
- The FAFSA opens January 1st. Complete this as soon as possible.
- Some schools require the CSS-Financial Aid Profile to be completed on College Board. See individual school websites to find out if this is needed.
- By now you should have heard from most, if not all, of the schools to which you applied. Take this time to really compare the schools you are considering and make an informed decision about where you will spend the next four years.
- Once you’ve sent a deposit to the school you plan to attend, ask your Guidance Counselor to forward your transcript.
- Provide OLMA with your new contact information so that we can keep in touch and help celebrate your future successes.