The Our Lady of Mercy Academy Salerno Society was created in 2012 and is named in honor of Sister Mary Dolores Salerno, D.M., Our Lady of Mercy Academy’s first principal. It was through her efforts that OLMA introduced sports as an integral part of the school’s curriculum.
The mission of The Salerno Society is to:
- Honor Sister Dolores for her incredible commitment to OLMA as principal
- Pay tribute to the many others who have contributed to the growth of our school as athletes, scholars, teachers, coaches, benefactors, and career professionals.
For a list of current Hall of Fame members and to find out more about the history of this award, click here.
Individuals and teams may be nominated from three categories:
- ATHLETE: Any person (or team) who distinguished herself in the field of athletics while a student at Our Lady of Mercy Academy. (Nominee must have graduated from OLMA more than five years ago).
- COACH: Any coach with at least 10 years of coaching experience. The nominee must be inactive and retired from the coaching staff for at least 5 years. Criteria for consideration should be based on accomplishments that merit statewide recognition or significant contributions or commitment to the athletic programs at Our Lady of Mercy Academy.
- CONTRIBUTOR: An individual (or family) who has made outstanding contributions to the interscholastic athletic programs at Our Lady of Mercy Academy.
REQUIREMENTS AND PROCEDURES FOR NOMINATION
In order to maintain the integrity of the Hall of Fame, the following criteria have been established for nominations.
Nominees must exemplify the highest standards of sportsmanship, ethical conduct, and character. All candidates will be judged on their significant and or long-term contributions to Our Lady of Mercy Academy athletics.
- Inductees may be nominated by: members of the Selection Committee: Current or former faculty, administration or staff: an OLMA alumna
- Special circumstances: It is understood that special circumstances may provide an opportunity to induct an athlete, coach or contributor prior to prescribed post-competition criteria. A consensus would be required by all committee members to qualify an athlete, coach, contributor or academic excellence for Hall of Fame nomination and selection.
A class of inductees shall not number more than five per year. The deadline for nominations for 2019 inductees is July 15, 2019.
To nominate an individual, team or family to the Salerno Society Hall of Fame, please click on the button below.